Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)The Sailing Bible has a lofty title and it certainly lives up to it. This comprehensive book effectively covers all aspects of sailing and so it should. The authors are experienced sailors and writers who present the information in thorough and concise manner. I can see this book becoming a standard reference on all cruising yachts and sailing clubs.
However, I got the American edition printed by Firefly. For some unknown reason the publishers took it upon themselves to localize the content for the American audience. Clearly, this is an English book and why the publishers chose to translate it is beyond me. I suspect that it the translation is the partial cause of the problems with the book. Columns of test are truncated, the beginnings and endings of paragraphs are missing, information appears on the wrong page, and there is missing content. Clearly, no one at Firefly bothered to review the proofs before going to print. Of the many tens of thousands of books that I have read this is certainly the worst as far as printer error is concerned. At $40.00, this is an unacceptable level of errors. Also, if there was a problem with the source document they should have spotted at least of the above mentioned issues. This is the second cause of the problem. This book is printed in China.
Despite the above comments, I still recommend this book. However, get the UK edition. Hopefully it does not have the same problems the American edition has. I have learned a lot from this book. The biggest lesson is never buy a book printed in China.
Now, who do I see about a refund?
Click Here to see more reviews about: The Sailing Bible: The Complete Guide for All Sailors, from Novice to Expert
0 comments:
Post a Comment