Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)I purchased the hardcover edition of this book for $149 from Amazon back in 2007. The hardcover edition price has apparently now risen to $163.59. The publication date of my hardcover edition was 2005. This republication in 2010 contains the exact same text as the 2005 hardcover edition, which, incidentally, was actually written in 2004 (and perhaps some of the material was drafted even before that). I was actually kind of relieved to discover that my 2005 copy hadn't now become obsolete in its content.
So why would you pay more for the paperback edition than the hardcover edition? Easy. All of the illustrations in the hardcover edition were in black and white, while many (perhaps most) of the illustrations in this new 2010 paperback edition are in full color. If I didn't already own the hardcover edition, I would buy the new 2010 paperback version just to get the color illustrations.
Micropropagation by Tissue Culture is a rather specialized field in itself, and photoautotrophic micropropagation is a rather specialized subset of that, and it is almost the exclusive domain of institutional or commercial enterprises. As an amateur interested in tissue culture micropropagation as a hobby, I discovered that very few, if any, amateurs actually use this technique, despite its potential advantages. Once you take the sugar away, you have to provide carbon dioxide and lots of light, and that can be problematic for the amateur.
Technically, this book may deserve 5 stars. But it describes a very specialized field, and its copyright date could give some people a false impression as to the currency of its content. And I think the description of a book should specify whether its illustrations are in full color or just black and white. So I deducted a star.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Photoautotrophic (sugar-free medium) Micropropagation as a New Micropropagation and Transplant Production System
This book is an excellent ambitious book that introduces the new propagation method for plant propagation and seeks to provide a comprehensive account of the latest advances in understanding sugar-free micropropagation for high quality transplant production. This is an ideal book that spans topics from physical state of culture environment to commercial application of photoautotrophic micropropagation. The issues discussed include definition, concept, principle, methodology, applications, advantages and disadvantages of photoautotrophic micropropagation.
0 comments:
Post a Comment