Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)I discovered this book by accident, at a local meet-and-greet for emerging writers from Ohio, at Ohio State University recently. God I love this book ! I am 35, not the "young reader" he was pitching to, but I immediately related to his themes of single-parenthood and the trials and triumphs of a young person growing up in the back room and front lines of a small business in America. The story is set in a vanishing world of workmanship and craft in the US, where one's worth is determined not by the size of one's house (or paycheck) but the integrity of one's tradition and precision of one's skills. This is a world worth visiting.
The coming-of-age drama is vividly rendered, as Ethan vacillates realisticall between his own desires and the rock-ribbed stoic tradition of his father. Both men's grief are genuine, but authentically shown--the father's an outward denial and the son's a more explicit, and thus conflicted, search for the truth about his mother. Both are on the trail of a ghost. Edward, the father, has cracked at the sight (he thinks) of his beloved, and his quest for peace--if not an outright form of cosmic revenge, at least a shot at redemption--causes him to collide with his son's equally-dogged but more metaphysical search.
This is some of the most beautiful writing I have encountered in several years. The two men's search and mourning is gorgeously rendered, and the supporting cast (notably longtime friend and co-worker Lonnie, and business partner Tyler) are memorable standouts. The victimization of Jenny, and her further "use" as a passport to the past, show considerable empathy. The portrayal of Carl, the alcoholic employee, is especially genuine and touching.
There is plenty of action here, including several storm sequences that will make your palms sweat. The ending in particular is fulfilling--no Jodi Picoult waffling here. You will leave this story satisfied and wanting much more.
I have it on good word from the author, that he has another book on the way. I hope it lives up to the standard he has set. Evan Rice is the best discovery in a long time. Expect big things.
***** Outstanding ! Definitely worth your time.
Click Here to see more reviews about: The Secret Sea
0 comments:
Post a Comment